Preparing your Products for Photography
Online, the only connection your customer has with your product is through the images you present to them. For this reason your images needs to look their very best. Just like a portrait adds ten pounds to a person, a product photo emphasizes visible flaws. A rule of thumb is; the smaller the product the more exaggerated the flaw appears. This has to be taken into account when selecting products for photography.
Your images will go through standard post processing retouching to correct for minor flaws and remove dust specs and minor blemishes. This is an involved process that can be minimized by carefully selecting products that are in pristine condition. Some of the most common things to look for are;
• Dust and dirt in creases, crevices, joints and recesses
• Surface scratches, scrapes, dings and dents on surface areas, raised areas, corners and edges
• Stains or discoloration on flat or porous surfaces
• Folds, creases and wrinkles on flat surfaces, fabrics, labels and packaging
• Rips, frays and holes in textiles and other soft materials